SJP Men for Others, Inc.
SJP…Men for Others, Inc. is a non-profit organization, whose sole purpose is to:
- Assist St. Joseph's Prep in its ministry activities through the Mission & Ministry Department
- Support Rob Currie, S.J. (Class of 1958) in his activities in Arenal, Nicaragua
- Promote the concept of being "A Man for and with Others” at the Prep
In consultation with the SJP Mission & Ministry Department, the SJP…Men for Others, Inc. Board of Directors presents the annual "Men for Others Award" during the spring awards ceremony at the Prep. Winners of the award receive a plaque, a copy of Currie’s Canticle (see next section), and a check for $500.
In addition, the SJP…Men for Others, Inc. Board of Directors presents a separate $500 award to support the work of Rob Currie, S.J. ’58 in Arenal, Nicaragua.
Recipients of the annual "Men for Others Award" are chosen based on the following criteria:
- Awarded to a Junior student at the Prep
- Displays seriousness and piety in observing "lgnatian ideals"
- Performs actions over and above Prep's required lgnatian Ministry
- Recognizes in himself, a Commitment to Service
- Indicates a special concern for the poor and oppressed
- Demonstrates a respect for the world, its history and mystery
- Leads through his own self-awareness, ingenuity, love and heroism
- Lives according to St. Ignatius motto: "In all, love and serve"
Currie's Canticle: The Chronicles of a Difference Maker, written and researched by Joe Sosnowski '58
In the hope of inspiring all those who read this book to become better human beings, the St. Joseph's Prep Class of 1958 undertook the task of documenting the life of their beloved classmate, Robert Currie, S.J. Within the pages of this book, the reader will find an individual who is living the Gospel of Jesus Christ and who has given his life towards improving the lives of others. Rob has demonstrated, on an international basis, his willingness to sacrifice his own safety and well-being to ensure that the marginalized people he is working with are treated humanely. His work in Chicago, India, Appalachia and Nicaragua, among the poorest and least respected of those areas, are witness to his lifelong commitment to helping make their lives better. The Prep Class of 1958 knows that after reading about this most remarkable individual, you will come to love this man and Jesuit, as they do; even if you might disagree with some of his political ideas.
To purchase a copy of Currie’s Canticle, please contact Bill Conners ’80 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 267-515-5941.
Email Joe Sosnowski '58 at Joesnowski@aol.com
Interested In Joining Our Board?
Please note the following Board Member minimum criteria:
- Attend the quarterly meetings of the board.
- Make a yearly $100 donation (stipend) to SJP...Men for Others, Inc. (Prep faculty members are exempt from this requirement).
- Actively participate in all fundraisers.
- Actively promote the sale of Currie's Canticle.
- Actively promote the annual 50-50 drawing to classmates, family and friends to help fund the causes of SJP...Men for Others, Inc.
- Support all the causes of SJP...Men for Others, Inc.
- The Annual Award ($500 stipend and Man for Others plaque) to a Prep Junior who demonstrates the qualities of being a Man for Others
- The funds to Rob Currie for his use in promoting his causes within the Arenal, Nicaragua community; current support of university student incidentals
- Funding of supplies required during the annual visit of a doctor to Arenal, Nicaragua
- Funding support for other Prep Ministry Projects such as Cura Personalis, Kairos, Service Trips, etc.
- Funding future Men for Others awards/stipends that would promote the organization's mission statement