Cape & Sword Drama Society
Congratulations to Cast of Newsies
Click here for a full list of the cast for Newsies.
News and Media
Click here to read an article from Philly.com about Cape & Sword's opportunity to pilot Newsies.
Click here to watch a clip from CBS3.
About the Cape and Sword
The Prep's Cape and Sword Drama Society is one of the strongest high school theatre programs in the Delaware Valley.
- 2 large-scale shows are produced every year - in the fall and the spring - that involve about 60 students each (on and off stage). Shows range in style: everything from Shakespeare to Sondheim has been produced on the Prep stage (recent titles include Peter and the Starcatcher, The Laramie Project, The Music Man, Kennedy's Crisis, Me and My Girl, Little Me, Cabaret, The Producers, and A Few Good Men).
- A year-round Improv Club is offered, as well as a winter Night of Scenes, both of which include ALL Prep students who express interest.
- Over 17% of the student body is involved in some form of Prep Drama - on or off stage.
- The Cape and Sword has won the Prep's Activity of the Year Award 4 times.
- The Prep won "Best Staging," at the 1st ever Philly Youth Theatre Festival, an event that was inspired by Mayor Jim Kenney '76 after he played a cameo role in the Prep's musical Curtains.
- Recent Prep Drama alumni include Michael Rady (TV's, "Unreal" and “The Mentalist”) and Alyse Alan Louis (Sophie in Broadway's Mamma Mia), and many Cape and Sword alums appear quite frequently on local professional stages.
- The Prep has been hand-selected by the Walt Disney Corporation to be one of 4 high schools in the nation to produce the musical Newsies this fall. The spring '18 show remains TBD.
- Since 1995, the Cape and Sword has operated under the leadership of local actor and director Mr. Tony Braithwaite '89.