All student athletes are require to complete a (1) PIAA CIPPE Packet for medical clearance. Students participating in contact sports must also complete a (2) baseline concussion ImPact test as well. More information regarding these requirements is outlined below. All requirements must be completed PRIOR to the first day of practice/try-outs. Students WILL NOT be permitted to participate in any try-outs/practices/games until these requirements have been fulfilled.
All student-athletes attending PIAA schools are required to have a physical examination before participating in athletics. The PIAA requires that student-athletes grades 9-12 have their parent/guardian and a physician complete a physical packet called the CIPPE (Comprehensive Initial Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation) as the official record of the physical examination for the athlete. The CIPPE form is the ONLY physical exam form acceptable for participation in athletics. Students are required to obtain a physical evaluation for a given school year after June 1st of the upcoming school year. The physical exam will remain valid through the end of the school year barring major injury or illness.
There are nine sections to the CIPPE:
- Sections 1-5must be completed by the parent/guardian and student.
- Health insurance information (provider/policy number) MUST be completed on section 1. Physicals with missing health insurance information will not be accepted.
- All signatures, dates and sections MUST be completely filled out. Physicals with missing information will not be accepted.
- Section 6must be completed by a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.)
- Note: The physician MUST sign and date this section. Section 6 will not be accepted without a valid signature/date
- Section 7 is used for re-certification for additional activities or following major injury/illness.
- Section 8 is used by a physician for re-certification following major injury/illness.
- Section 9 is used only by those participating in wrestling.
PLEASE NOTE: All sections must be returned to the school where it is kept on file. Physicals can be dropped off at the athletic training room during normal hours of operation. Physicals may also be left in the black mailbox outside of the athletic training room when the office is not open.
Attention- Students who participate in multiple sports seasons:
- Re-Certification for Students for Winter and Spring Seasons:
Students who have participated in the fall season who wish to participate in the winter and/or spring seasons do not require a new physical exam. Likewise, a student who participated in a winter sport will not need a new physical if they plan to participate in a spring sport. However, a student and the parent/guardian must complete a re-certification for each sport in which the student-athlete wishes to participate. Barring any major injury/illness since the physical exam, simply complete Section 7 of the CIPPE form and return it to the athletic training room.
- In the event the student has suffered a major injury or illness since the last physical exam:
Section 7 must be completed by the parent/guardian AND Section 8 must be completed by a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.)
2. Baseline Concussion Testing
Baseline ImPACT (Immediate and Post-concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) testing is mandatory for all athletes at St. Joseph’s Prep who participate in a contact sport. A list of contact sports can be found below. Baseline testing will only need to be completed freshman and junior year. However, if an athlete sustains a concussion during a given sports season he will need to complete a new baseline ImPACT the following year. Baseline testing is offered at the school on various dates throughout the summer and fall. Testing dates will be posted outside of the athletic training room and on the sport’s medicine webpage periodically. Questions regarding ImPACT testing should be directed to the athletic training staff.