Cape & Sword Drama Society
About the Cape and Sword
The Prep's Cape and Sword Drama Society is one of the strongest high school theatre programs in the Delaware Valley.
- 2 years ago, the Prep was hand-selected by the Walt Disney Corporation to be one of the first 4 high schools in the nation to ever produce the musical Newsies.
- The Cape and Sword has won the Prep's Activity of the Year Award 5 times, more than any other sport or club at the Prep.
- 2 large-scale shows are produced every year - in the fall and the spring - that involve about 60 students each (on and off stage). Shows range in style: everything from Shakespeare to Sondheim has been produced on the Prep stage. Recent titles include Spamalot, Newsies, 1776, Peter and the Starcatcher, and The Music Man.
- A winter Night of Scenes is also offered, which includes ALL Prep students who express interest. Annual participation is approx. 150 students.
- Over 17% of the student body is involved in some form of Prep Drama - on or off stage.
- Prep Drama alumni include Michael Rady (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants), Gianna Yanelli (Mean Girls), Alyse Alan Louis (Mamma Mia), Chris O'Donnell (NCIS: Los Angeles) and international opera singer Justin Hopkins. In addition, many Cape and Sword alums appear quite frequently on local professional stages.
- Since 1995, the Cape and Sword has operated under the leadership of local actor and director Mr. Tony Braithwaite '89.
Yes, Freshmen get cast in the Fall and Spring shows all the time. And all students who audition will be cast in Night of Scenes in the winter.
Yes, and a great one. All sets, lights, sound, tickets, props, and publicity are built, maintained and run by students (with Adult Staff oversight). Information on Stage Crew (building sets) and Production Staff (everything else behind the scenes) is available from the website around the same time as auditions for a show are held. However, interest in Stage Crew and Production Staff is usually so high that a selection process is often necessary.
No. Girls from any high school are welcome to audition for Prep shows. In recent years we've had young ladies come from (among many other schools) Merion Mercy, Mount St. Joe's, Agnes Irwin's, Notre Dame, Hallihan, Lower Merion High School, Archbishop Carroll, Radnor High School, Cardinal O'Hara, Gwynned Mercy, The Baldwin School, several schools in New Jersey, and home schools.
Students in Cape and Sword car pool all the time, many upperclassmen drive and have cars, parents who work in town pick up students, etc. This all tends to work itself out rather well each year.